This is for my dear friend and workout buddy, who wants recipes that are simple, quick, and have fewer than four ingredients. Heck, who does not want that?
Quick Squash Casserole
- If you are using fresh squash, clean and slice it. Then boil squash until done. If you are using frozen squash, just boil it – no need to defrost.
- Drain squash in colander and use a spoon or your hands to press out as much moisture as possible.
- In a bowl, add squash, a handful of almond or coconut flour, and your favorite homemade or jarred salsa. (My husband and son make quite a bit of salsa in the summertime. If you want the recipe, let me know and I will work on getting it from them.) Mix. Taste. Add more salsa as needed.
- Sprinkle cheese on top before serving.
That’s it. Just enjoy. It is also great as leftovers.
Squash and Onions
- If you are using fresh squash, clean and slice it. If you are using frozen squash, defrost it in a colander and press out as much liquid as possible.
- Dice a small onion.
- Add the fat of your choice to the skillet (I like my iron skillet and bacon drippings for this.) Add the onions and cook them until they start to get soft and slightly translucent.
- Add squash and cook until onions and squash begin to caramelize.
That’s it! Quick and easy!
Both of these will work well with the squash that you blanched and froze. You missed that? Check yesterday’s blog for the directions that will let you put up a ton of veggies quickly without heating up your kitchen.